Since the rigged elections held in Burma last year, there has been a significant increase in human rights abuses which may constitute possible war crimes and crimes against humanity. Open Estonia Foundation supports the inclusion of the establishment of a Commission of Inquiry into this year’s UN General Assembly Resolution on Burma.
Crimes committed by the Burmese Army since the elections include:
- Mass use of gang-rape against ethnic minority women, and also girls.
- Continued recruitment of child soldiers.
- Deliberate targeting of civilians, including mortar bombing civilian villages without warning.
- Continued arrests and torture of political opponents.
- Tens of thousands of refugees and internally displaced people forced to flee increased conflict.
This is why the establishment of a UN Commission of Inquiry cannot wait.
We commemorate all those who have lost their lives, families and friends in this struggle for freedom, democracy and respect for human rights.